NE-CAT and the APS-U
Submitted by kperry on Tue, 09/13/2022 - 22:44
To help you continue collecting data during the APS-U down time (est. April 2023-April 2024), we are putting together a data collection program. We plan to combine proposals into Block Allocation Group (BAG) proposals at the US sources: NSLSII, MacCHESS, ALS, and SSRL. (If sufficient time is not obtainable in the US, foreign synchrotrons will be explored.) This is an alternative to submitting your own individual or BAG proposals.
Some benefits of the NE-CAT BAG Program:
- Much simpler proposal process for you. A short paragraph describing your project(s) should be sufficient.
- NE-CAT will manage the BAG, you will get access to multiple synchrotrons, and we will apportion time fairly as possible.
- NE-CAT staff will vet each beamline before adding it to the program, assessing capabilities and suitability to user projects.
- In addition to regular facility support, NE-CAT scientists will support your data collection.
If you are interested in joining the NE-CAT BAG Program, contact firstname.lastname@example.org with:
- a short paragraph describing your project(s)
- an estimate of beam time access request per quarter
- any specific requirements for experimental setup / project demands
If you are seeking other synchrotron sources, the APS provides a spreadsheet listing comparable beamlines in the United States which can be used. Download it here.
APS Upgrade Project Timeline
April 17 : User Experiments End
April 24 : Beam shuts down
May 2023 - Jun 2023 : Removal of ring
July 2023 - November 2023 : Installation of new ring
December 2023 - January 2023 : Testing without beam
January 2023 - April 2023 : Commissioning ring, 0-25mA
May 2023 : 50mA operation, user operations at some beamlines